This adaption of an already popular recipe worked for us to make slightly cakey, yummy donuts. Note: Although I am not very strict about sugar generally, I wanted to try a sugar free recipe simply because I realise that I prefer my little ones when they haven’t been eating it! I say ‘almost’ sugar free because I did dust them lightly with cinnamon sugar for a more authentic donut taste. The extra flour is to offset the extra liquid from adding the rice malt syrup.
Rice malt syrup donuts. Made about 20 mini donuts.
Recipe adapted from bestrecipes.com.au
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour plus 2-3 tablespoons extra flour
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125g butter
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- Turn on your electric donut maker.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add butter, egg, milk and rice malt syrup and beat until smooth.
- Ask your toddler to keep their fingers out of the bowl while you scrape the mix into a piping bag to pipe into the machine.
- Cook until lightly browned.
- Dust with cinnamon sugar or other sugar-free alternative.